February 22, 2013
Collection: Red Lipstick
Dear friends and relatives (who are reading this), if you have absolutely no idea what to give me as a present, give me a red lipstick. In fact, if I can only try one product from each brand (particularly a luxury brand as a souvenir of sorts), it’ll be their loudest, reddest lipstick.
Although it’s fairly modest in number, I have a few icons in my stash and I realized that five of the shades I own were mentioned by Lisa Eldridge in her Ultimate Guide to Red Lips video. When my blog temporarily died a few weeks back, I was looking at my red lipsticks and I swatched them out of boredom. I had to alleviate the itch to blog somehow . Haha.
- MAC Charmed I’m Sure (Marilyn Monroe Collection ’12) – Dark true red
- MAC Deeply Adored (Marilyn Monroe Collection ’12) – Deep scarlet
- Bobbi Brown Old Hollywood – Bright cherry red
- Revlon Really Red – Rich red
- MAC Lady Danger – Very bright coral/orange-red
- MAC Ruby Woo – Very matte vivid blue-red / retro red
- MAC Russian Red – Intense Bluish-Red
- Covergirl Hot – Vibrant Cherry Red
- MAC Party Parrot (Iris Apfel Collection ’11) – Bright red-pink
- MAC Moxie (By Request Collection ’12) – Bright pink
Traditionally, I like my red lipsticks to be either mattes, semi-mattes or satins, at the very least. And when I put them on, I fuss over them like nobody’s business. My students would tell you that I’m much friendlier when I’m sporting a strong red mouth.
Here’s a closer look:
I forgot to swatch Revlon Fire & Ice. Maybe when I’ve received my Chanel baby (either Pirate or Passion) and MAC Ronnie Red from the Archie’s Girls Collection ’13, I’ll update this post for the swatches.
I have a loooong list of reds I’d very much like to add to the collection including Tom Ford (!) Cherry Lush, Giorgio Armani Rouge D’Armani #400, maybe a Guerlain and a YSL too. What’s your favorite red?